Thursday, June 30, 2005

knees and fingers and legs and toes

Got a letter from the NHS, I am due to go into hospital on Tuesday 16th August for my reconstruction job...

Following the arthroscopy and keyhole cartilage repair last year, my doc said I could quite happily soldier on with a torn/absent ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), provided I could learn to avoid the loading patterns that might cause my knee to come apart. However he advised that ACL reconstruction is a good option whilst still young (ish) and if I wish to continue to be active e.g. play sports. He advised that the procedure has a high success rate nowadays and can return the joint to normal stability; which will also help to guard against premature further gradual wear of the joint as I get older. Might still get arthritic once I'm older, but the later the better, we both agreed.

I will be out for about 5 weeks and have to pretty much learn to walk properly again afterwards!...but with decent physiotherapy, in 12 months it is pretty solid and can return to limb-imperilling high-jinks should I wish

No comments: