Thursday, June 28, 2007

citizenship

Today I had my first experience of a British Citizenship ceremony.

I was there as guest & witness for my friend Paul. It was a formal but relaxed occasion, though I could see it was emotional for some, of course. There were 28 people from 18 countries. In Bristol, a ceremony like this happens every week for a similar number of people.

It began with the Lord Mayor of Bristol entering in robes and a feathery black hat. He then removed the (frankly enormous) hat, and told a joke to relax everybody before addressing the group and mentioning their privileges as new British citizens.

The four things he mentioned: (1) Britons are equal before the law, (2) have freedom of speech, (3) freedom of religion and (4) the opportunity to vote and take part in democracy.

The new citizens all read out a 'Pledge Of Allegiance' together, then the Mayor gave each individual a certificate, plus a gift from the City of Bristol: a medal engraved with the coat of arms and, on reverse, the Clifton Suspension Bridge.



The funniest thing was the National Anthem. I expected everyone would sing it. You know, for the first time, burst into the national song as a freshly acknowledge citizen. But it was played on a stereo, instrumental version only -- no words were provided, and everyone seemed unsure whether or not they were supposed to join in. So the whole room stood (very Britishly) tight-lipped, but proud, as the recorded brass band played.
God Save The Queen on a CD-R

By the way - in the photographs afterwards, everyone wanted to be pictured trying on the hat.

The ceremony was rounded off with some generous, good quality tea and cakes. OF COURSE tea; one of the most recognisably British parts of the whole thing.

I wonder what it is like doing this in other countries?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about how it's done in America. It tends to be a large assembly and I don't think anyone gets a lovely medal to commemorate the occasion. And definitely no tea and cakes. Sounds like fun!

Jenny Manglos