Friday, November 18, 2005

Thankful for these years of my life :)

I was grateful as I walked across College Green and was lifted by the simple beauty of a crisp, cold, blue-skied November morning (as David put it, "with a lick of warmth from the winter sun"). Ma, Pa, David and Beryl - I'm grateful for them, and an ever-present hope flickers for each of them. A cinnamon coffee and almond croissant accompany my walk up to the office. Despite my stubbornness, I am quietly revelling in today's small but secret significance.

Meanwhile though, in the background my habitual enemy is still choosing its moments and trying to pick my seams. So I think about how dispiriting the timing is, and then I think, wait: no matter what the 'moment' is, every moment prompts a choice, and so (sensing a hint of trouble) I remind myself, «you know your shepherd». Whether I feel like I do, or not, I can do that by choice at any moment.

So I persevere to finish things at the office, but there are too many things left undone; I just have to leave them as they are. And I go on to a different birthday party!

And so, with change always in mind's eye, a holiday :)

No comments: