Thursday, August 10, 2006

sufjan

for Father's day I made my Dad a compilation CD. I always loved making compilations for people as a teenager, and nowadays I make one every month to play during Salt Open Mic but apart from that I've mostly neglected the art. My Dad of course is someone who introduced me to a lot of my most influential music as I was growing up, though my grown-up tastes haven't always coincided with his. Anyway, I felt it was about time we shared some music again and as a personal gift for Father's Day I hoped he would enjoy what I chose, I took time over the selection...there were two tracks from the Sufjan Stevens album Illinois that made it amongst the eleven tracks I compiled.

When Dad visited me in July he wanted to hear all about Sufjan Stevens, and I promised to order him a copy of the album through Amazon. He rang me some days later to say he had bought his own copy already, and just yesterday I got a call from him during the daytime, enthusing over the album (which I'd guess he's playing at work).

It's one of my favourite albums of the year, sure, and I've shared it with lots of people, but I'm particularly glad to have been able to share it with my Dad.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I like your dad.

sofiacarlbert said...

Hej Mark!
Jag hoppas att du sover gott...jag "jobbar" för full på Stadsmissionen = time to blog! Lots of thankyous for the cds that you've put together for me!

Ses imorgon!