If there were ever a case for blog euthanasia, this blog would be a prime one.
Why don't I just kill it? Only cos I don't really wanna lose the marktristan address. Tenuous huh. Perhaps one day I'll be relieved I kept it.
Well, the reason for the neglect is because unless you have NO readers (what I originally thought, i.e. some private place to post excerpts from emails and stuff), whether one person reads it or who knows how many - it brings on all this unhelpful self-consciousness. Inevitably I then start playing to the audience a bit. Unconsciously striving to be clever or insightful, not mediocre or anything like that.
Why this still matters to me is a tougher question. If you've ever posted something on a forum and then can't stop logging in to see whether someone's validated your contribution with a response, you know what I mean. Some folks have stat counters to gauge the number of people reading. I work in web analytics so it would be so easy to do the same, but God help me if I really need that as a way of measuring my importance.
Anyway, one thing I do know is, there are n million mostly pathetic personal blogs sitting there in neglect every day. This is surely one of them. It's bad enough that so many would-be bloggers' heads are filled with self-important and waffling nonsense; but how about that we waste even more time writing it down for our friends?
Even so, sometimes I have a thought that I think's worth dwelling on, or a sarcastic take on my or my community's trials and obstacles. Or just a little reflection I wanna write down before it escapes... or before I kid myself that I'll sit down with a paper journal and note it down (even better, 'pray about it') later.
And I can honestly say I've been blessed reading some friends' (and strangers') blogs, no matter how rubbish they declaim them to be.
So if I can forget the self consciousness, ("what will this post add to/subtract from people's image of me?"),
and if you're not resolutely put off ever viewing this again,
I'm planning to postpone the euthanasia just yet.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good choice! I'm sure I'm not the only one who reads via RSS. Peace!
I've got your feed too.
Don't kill it. You might need it someday even if it's just to update people whilst you're abroad or something (course the mass email covers that too but it is harder to attach emails to masses from a foreign place)
Laters
Post a Comment