.. this week has been rich with new musical discoveries. First, I bought the Kings of Convenience album and thus have finally laid ears on a song I met across a crowded bar last summer. I'd Rather Dance With You... overheard it on the stereo at Dusk and there began an inordinate effort to track down whose home-made compliation CD was playing and subsequently whom Track 6 was by. Something about the groove and feel of that song hooked me instantly. Do you know it? if so please comment, i feel so compelled to share musical loves & stuff like this, it hurts if I don't!
Sofie also lent me Sufjan Stevens' first album this week; the opening two tracks in particular are ridiculously good. How does he fuse such a myriad of different musical voices and impulses? Its a bit like how a huge flock of birds converts such chaotic flapping into an overall surge of direction I suppose. Some tracks however do exhibit the downside of such chaos.
Finally I have also been loving the Swedish/Argentinian troubadour José González (in partic.: Lovestain), and... a song i heard a coupla times before Christmas: Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie... on first listens its appeal was noted, in a kind of non-committal way; then i overheard it again Wednesday in a coffee shop and stone me i just had to go and get hold of it straight away. I love the chorus to bits!--especially how the bass wanders through different inversions of the same chord run whilst the melody builds to a gorgeous cadence..(rubs hands with glee).. very much 'tune of the moment' for me.
On a side note...
Unusual activity of the moment: rubbing a seal with brandy. Not me, but a team of Russian circus-keepers.. I gather this was how they rescued the poor hypothermic creature following a road trip during Russia's recent -30° temperatures. "Um, could I call you back in a bit? I'm right in the middle of rubbing a seal with brandy..."
Friday, January 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment