My poor friend D. OK, so I don't like TVs being on in the background, because they frequently interrupt your conversation. So when D. had me round on Thursday, I was glad that he at least muted the TV while we talked.
However we soon realised that even when silent, TVs can still hijack your concentration. This is thanks to the ability of your peripheral vision to latch on to arresting images. Firstly, we both kept having to fight off distraction when pictures kept flashing up of a Tony Blair lookalike in his underpants singing & dancing in front of a mirror. Then later, a program featured a pathologist and some naked volunteers. Your eye couldn't help being drawn to the peculiar anatomy being discussed on screen. At one point the camera panned down over a male volunteer with diagrams painted on his skin, and the camera did not stop at the waistline as D. had clearly hoped... he curled up horrified on the couch and wailed, «oh no.. now i'm watching a penis!!..»
I bet he wishes the TV had just been switched off! ;)
Saturday, January 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment